Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Literary Tourism - Delaware

Delaware is probably the most forgettable state to me.  Sorry Delawareans, but it's true.  It's only claim to fame for me is that it was the first state to enter the union.  Anyway, I had to hurry up and read a book set there before I forgot it even existed.

There were not a ton of options for Delaware, but I used this handy list of YA books by state to help me out.  I'm not 100% using this list because it doesn't always fit my criteria, but it helps a lot.



The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher

Page 9 of this book pretty much summed Delaware up for me.  "We lived in a flat oversized suburb ... a dot on the map in a state people drove through to get somewhere else."  I laughed when I read this because driving through is the only time I have ever experienced Delaware.  Highways and rest stops are all I know.  I got the impression that it is quite typical just ot pop over to Maryland or Philadelphia for a bit because they are that close. 

Did I like the book?  When I first started it, I thought it was exactly what I was looking for, but it devolved quickly.  I sometimes think YA authors write about what they think teens want to read about and not really what teens want to read about.

For instance, the narrator Adrienne is suddenly on a quest to find herself.  The quest is completely manipulated by CeeCee the obnoxious one who has a million issues that the book doesn't even address.  Does a teen really want to see a protagonist with zero backbone?  I hope not.  The characters just didn't work for me.  The book had it's fun parts, but I think I need to read a classic to get my IQ back up. 

No comments: