Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Gratitude Part II - Family

We sometimes think that being grateful is what we do after our problems are solved, but how terribly shortsighted that is. How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain?
Dieter F. Uchtdorf


As promised, I am continuing my gratitude post.  Jerry and I live a fair ways away from most of our family, but both sides have been very involved with this whole thing.  In order to protect people's privacy, I'm not going to name names, so hopefully this won't get too confusing.

I know that those who are long distance have wished they were with us we brought Joshua into the world, but they have helped in many ways.  My sister's lengthy phone conversations with me really helped me while I was in the hospital.  Both of my sisters-in-law had great advice and support as well.  My in-laws have called, shown their concern and sent Joshua some adorable clothes.  Outfits with whales really make me happy.

Last weekend, I had a baby shower and my extended family brought me wonderful gifts.  WE know feel completely ready for this little guy to come home.  

One of my aunts who lives close by offered to drive me to my appointments.  I don't think she knew what she was in for.  When my health started to decline, she waited through lengtly ultrasounds and tests.  She brought me lunch and support.  On the day I was admitted to the hospital, she stayed with me and waited in the hospital while Joshua was delivered.  I'm so exceedingly grateful for all the time she spent with me.  It was exactly what I needed.

I have one sister that lives close by.  She tag teamed with my aunt to make sure I was taken care of in the hospital.  She has helped to feed Joshua when I wasn't there.  The night Joshua was born, she burst into my hospital room with her bubbly personality and gifts for Joshua.  I was mostly feeling sick at the time, but it was the best reminder that I also needed to celebrate.  This is perhaps the most importatnt thing she did for me.





 My mom flew to Utah the day after Joshua was born.  I could write pages and pages about her.  Suffice it to say she did a lot for all of us.  She stuffed me full of liver-friendly foods, got me to the NICU as much as I wanted, cleaned my house and even visted at 5 AM to make sure AI was pumping.  My dad was willing to be alone for about a month while mom took care of all of us. 



My grandparents made it their personal mission to get me to the NICU between my mom leaving and Jerry finishing school.  I will treasure the time we spent together going to and from the hospital.  They have been such good sports especially because they haven't been able to go inside to see the baby.

Lastly, there is of course Jerry.  I'm not really one to gush about my husband online.  The list of things he has done throughout this journey would be excessive.  He manages to get me laughing every night when he gives me a shot.  He relishes his time with Joshua.  He gave up his cot one night in the hospital because I couldn't stand my hospital bed any longer.  When it hurt too much for me to climb in bed, he built a little staircase.  He's protective and kind and fun and I'm so glad I have him through all of this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been so impressed with everyone in your family that I've met... which I think is almost everybody. You're very lucky to have such wonderful kin!