Saturday, October 31, 2009

One Year

Yesterday, I celebrated one year in Southern California. I've either lived in or visited many places and LA has seemed like the greatest adventure of my life to date. This has probably been the hardest, most exciting, most challenging, and most incredible year of my life. I say this fully aware that life will probably only get harder, more exciting, more challenging, and more incredible. I look forward to it.

Here are a few highlights.

Life - Most of this year has been consumed with figuring out how to be a children's librarian. I can proudly say that I've succeeded. I've endured the occasional failure, learned from it and moved forward. Yesterday, I decided I love my job when I heard some toddlers squealing with delight.

I attend a small ward with amazing people. I'm grateful for the lessons I've learned from them.

New Things - New experiences energize me. This year I have visited San Francisco (awesome!), Denver (cold!), and Chicago (miserable!). I have eaten street tacos, visited the Getty Villa, and frequented Disneyland. I've been the proud owner of a refrigerator, a flat screen televisions, and a couch.

Gratitude - One of my favorite hobbies is complaining about Los Angeles. I need to suck it up and be grateful. Some reasons why:
  • I have met people from all walks of life. I love it!
  • I still have a job despite layoffs.
  • I get to be around children every day.
  • The beach (need I say more)
  • It doesn't get cold here.
  • The Lord has blessed me with new talents and magnified my old ones. This is probably the thing I am the most grateful for. I have done things I never thought I could do.
  • And much, much more!


3 comments:

Michael said...

Good for you Michelle! Really...can the big city be that bad? Ok, I think I'd complain a lot too if I lived in LA. But yippee! You made it a year!

Cara said...

It sounds like you've had an INCREDIBLE year!!! But, I loved most your comments about the kids! Don't they just make you smile when they're smiling too. Makes it all worth while!

Joe and Joanne said...

Michelle, this is great. Congratulations on your one-year-in-CA anniversary! Enjoy yet another year of the warm sun, those beautiful beaches, and those adorable toddlers! :)