Monday, December 22, 2014

Haul Out the Holly


"We Need a Little Christmas" is a perky Christmas show tune that I love because sets a joyful Christmas mood.  Rather than hauling out the holly, I prefer to haul our my nutcrackers and nativities.

Youtube had this fun rendition of the song.


Some of the lyrics have left me with a few questions,  And I'm feeling free to provide the answers myself.

"For we need a little Christmas
Right this very minute
Candles in the window
Carols at the spinet"



Q:  What exactly is a spinet?
A:   According to Google it's "a small harpsichord with the strings set obliquely to the keyboard, popular in the 18th century."

"So climb down the chimney
Put up the brightest string of lights I've ever seen
Slice up the fruitcake
It's time we hung some tinsel on that evergreen bough"


Q:  Fruitcake?  Really?
A:  May I suggest pumpkin roll, or pecan pie, or chocolate pudding with candy canes crushed up in it.  Now those are real holiday treats.

"For I've grown a little leaner, 
grown a little colder
Grown a little sadder, 
grown a little older"

Q:  Can I help you feel happier>
A:  Perhaps some food besides fruitcake, a warm blanker, some age defying face cream, and the company of some good friends would help you.

"And I need a little angel 
sitting on my shoulder
I need a little Christmas now"


Q:  Do you really want a shoulder angel?
A:  Yes.  Well I have just the thing.  Thanks, Studio C!


"We Need a Little Christmas" was written by Jerry Herman

No comments: