Sunday, December 21, 2014

Ere Zij God


No compilation of my favorite carols is complete without a Dutch hymn.  Christmas always makes me nostalgic for my mission.  Unlike most sisters, I served for two Christmases and had a chance to learn many of the songs in Dutch.  "Ere zij God"  brings back memories like singing in the Missionary Training Center, sharing songs in a family's home on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day services with the members in The Netherlands.

If you're wondering about how to possibly understand the lyrics, I will tell you.  In the Bible, we read the story of the shepherds watching their flock.  An angel appears to them and tells of Baby Jesus in Bethlehem.  Then "a multitude of heavenly hosts" (Luke 2:13) appeared and sang praises.
 
This song is the Dutch translation of Luke 2:14, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."
 
"Ere zij God in den hoge
Vrede op aarde 
un de mensen 
een welbehagen."

Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, I found a great version on Youtube.  It's a little jazzier than I would like, but I really feel that is captures the spirit of the song.  Even if you don't speak Dutch, please watch.  It's beautiful.
 
 

1 comment:

Haamlette said...

Thanks for jogging the memory!