Monday, January 9, 2017

Time For Addison

I used to find it very difficult to think of ideas for Family Home Evening for a toddler.  I have pushed through that and now I think it is lots of fun.  But I have complained with lots of parents that it is hard to find ideas.  I decided it might be fun to share a bit of what we do. 

A couple things to note:
  • I usually get my ideas from other places and then tweak them.  I will be sure to link to all my sources.
  • Lessons last about 2-5 minutes.  Therefore, I refuse to prep for more than 10 minutes.  These are not examples of cuteness perfection.
  • I always try to include a scripture that we look up in physical scriptures.
  • My child is a very kinesthetic learner so my lessons reflect that.

 Tonight's lesson is going to be the story "Time for Addison," from the January 2017 Friend Magazine.  First, we look up the scripture, John 13:34.  Then we read the story, but to keep Joshua focused, he will act out building the tower, then playing with figures, and then the cards. 

Attached to the story is a "Choose The Right Card" One of the challenges to to show love for your family every day in a week.  I threw together a little chart with hearts so when we do something that shows love every day, he can add a heart.  I have a few ideas in mind of what we might do - art projects, little chores, playing with Henry etc.  I have found that little things like this help keep the lesson with him.

And that's it.  Super easy!  Joshua loves the time we spend together and I like finding creative things to do.

No comments: