Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Surgery

Joshua had a little surgery on Monday.  I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say it was neither heart surgery nor an organ transplant.  So, if you're not his mom, it's not the scariest thing in the world.  Last week felt very long because we were just waiting around to have this procedure done.

I was dreading Sunday night, because we couldn't feed him, but Joshua did remarkably well on an empty stomach and managed to keep his spirits up right up until they took him into surgery. 

"Ha, Ha, Ha.  I just peed all over this gurney."

"Why is mommy holding me so much today?"
We waited and waited and waited ... okay the surgery didn't really take that long.  The surgeon came out and told us that everything went fine and what to expect for the next few days.

The most heartbreaking part was when they wheeled him out to us and I could hear him crying from all the way done the hall.  Joshua was really angry that we hadn't fed him yet.  His cry was hoarse and angry.


"Feed Me!"
Because Joshua isn't known for his respiratory talents, we got to spend the night on the pediatrics floor.  I was actually really happy about that.  The nurses and techs were experts at calming baby who is in pain.

"Ooo, fishies!"

"These warm blankets are comfy!"

"Mom, can you get me one of these for home?"
 Joshua did great and didn't have any epidosres of apnea.  We were able to come home yesterday morning.

"I can't wait to get home!"

4 comments:

Katja said...

Love the first picture in his little gown and the caption is funny too. He is so cute. Hope he recovers well.

Becky said...

He is just so cute! I love his cubby cheeks. (I knew he'd get them some day) I'm glad surgery went well and it's behind you now. Keep up the awesome work with that little guy. You guys are amazing. We miss getting to see our little man (and you too) every day, but I'm pretty sure you'd rather be home. Give him some snuggles for me.

Becky said...

And I'm glad I'm not the only one he has pee'd on, and smiled about it. Honestly, it's a sign of true love.

Joe and Joanne said...

I'm glad the surgery went well! I can imagine as a mom how scary that would be. I know you read this all the time but HE IS SO CUTE! Love the photos (and captions)!